Director of Academic Advising: Ruth Benavides
Academic advising goes well beyond assisting students with their semester schedule of classes. The role of the academic advisor includes, but is not limited to:
- Helping the student define his or her academic, intellectual, personal and career goals.
- Identifying courses and experiential learning opportunities that will help the student to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Being available and accessible to advisees and working with faculty to monitor students’ academic status.
- Referring students to appropriate campus resources, including personal counseling when appropriate.
- Encouraging awareness of and involvement in cultural and social opportunities on campus for students.
- Learning the policies and requirements for graduation and clearly communicating them to advisees so that they will not be deficient in any university, college or departmental requirements.