2012: CHAMPIONS! Men's Soccer Claims 20th National Title in School History
Evans, Ga. – The sting of loss from last year's final has given way to jubilation following Lynn University's 3-2 victory over Saginaw Valley State in the NCAA Division II Championship final, claiming the program's fourth national title and the 20th in school history. Johnny Mertl and Yannick Braeuer scored first-half goals but it was Anthony Desperito's goal with 20 minutes remaining that allowed the Fighting Knights to hoist the championship trophy.
Highlights from the Season:
- Won SSC Regular Season Title; giving program 10 and Lynn University 29 overall.
- Posted the highest grade-point average in the nation among all four-year insititutions.
- Went 5-0 against nationally-ranked opponents.
- Notched an All-American for the 11th consecutive year and 26th time in 27 seasons.
- First school in NCAA Division II history with back-to-back Elite 89 Award winners (Martin Wehlert - 2012; Harold Gracholski - 2011).