2009: Baseball Caps Amazing Season with First National Championship
Cary, N.C. - Lynn University's unbelievable run to a national title ended with the program's first-ever NCAA Division II National Championship following a 2-1 victory over Emporia State. The Fighting Knights went 8-0 in regional and national play, becoming the first school to accomplish that feat since Tampa in 2006. Tommy Kahnle was named the tournament's most outstanding player after posting a 1-0 record with a 0.00 ERA and 12 strikeouts in 12.1 innings pitched.
Highlights from the Season:
- Set a school record for wins in a season (46).
- Smashed an additional 14 team and individual records.
- Went 5-0 against Florida Southern.
- Was 25-7 against nationally-ranked teams.
- Dan Wright led Division II in victories while setting school records for wins (15) and strikeouts (119) in a season.
- Wright also became the first pitcher in school history to garner All-America accolades by three publications.
- Gabe MacDougall was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the MLB Amateur Draft.